The Astor at the Washington Building
Parker Mackay Architects
The Astor, formerly known as Washington Building, is an 18-story, 156-unit multifamily development in downtown Tacoma. Built in 1925, Washington Building was the tallest building in Tacoma and the second tallest in Pacific Northwest when it was completed. The existing offices have been converted into apartments, amenity, storage, and retail spaces. The building has received significant seismic upgrades as well as updates to the mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection systems. The basement bank vault, which has now been converted to tenant lounge space, is preserved from the days when the building was home to the Scandinavian American Bank.
The new apartment units feature expansive views of Tacoma and the Puget Sound. The rooftop and penthouse space, which historically housed Tacoma’s medical Scientific Zoo, has been transformed into a rooftop amenity deck.